The Canadian Princess is a newly renovated 46 room lodge and 300ft marina in beautiful Ucluelet BC. We are a family run business operating a 46 room lodge and 250ft marina in Ucluelet, BC. The Canadian Princess Lodge is the second biggest accommodator in town and located on the inner boat basin of Ucluelet. Ucluelet is a seasonal summer tourist destination for surfing, wildlife, fishing, beaches etc. In the peak season from May-October the town is bustling and busy as ever with near 100% occupancy. Come November-April there is a sharp decline to about 0-15% occupancy. Long weekends are an exception with nearly 100% occupancy.
Assistant GM will work directly with ownership and general manager who will work off-site during low season November-April and full-time on site during shoulder and peak season.
Permanent, Full time, Year Round, Weekend/Day
Anticipated Start Date:
The Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for an individual or couple who can work closely with the owners year round and act as the eyes, hands and representation of the lodge. They will handle the day-day operations as well as work closely with ownership for growth projects. This is a very hands on position and as we are a smaller lodge the operations manager must have a jack of all trades mentality. The lodge needs a manager who is not afraid to get their hands dirty and step into any department role if necessary.
The ideal candidate would be familiar with Ucluelet and Tofino and understand and want to thrive in the climate and lifestyle of a small west coast, seasonal, small town. They must understand the intensity of pace in peak season and the slow down in low season. In the low season the operations manager position transforms primarily into a caretaker position. The operations manager will work with ownership to focus on deep cleaning, maintenance, renovations, marketing/sales and hiring for the next peak season.
They would be a great mixture of understanding and bringing value and ideas in maintenance, housekeeping, laundry and front desk departments. They will also be the key point of contact for customer service situations. The ideal candidate will spearhead hiring, training, managing and termination of staff team size of approximately 15 persons in peak season and 1-2 persons in low season. Ideally, the operations manager would come from a similar working background.
Role and Responsibilities
- Primary functions:
- Hiring, training, scheduling, terminating all staff departments
- Plan and manage lodge operations budget.
- Maintain the hotel’s inventory and order new items as needed
- Prepare and submit progress and other reports to ownership.
- Prepare the budget of the property and ensure purchases are within the budget
- Plan, organize and direct administrative services such as signage, cleaning, maintenance, parking, safety inspections, security.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of reports and statistics related to areas of responsibility in front desk revenue management and administration.
- Revenue Management
- Revenue management strategies of the room and rate adjustments to maximize revenue and actively participate in the revenue management process.
- Give suggestions and feedback to the marketing and sales leads.
- Direct the maintenance and repair of an establishment’s machinery, equipment and electrical and mechanical systems
- Customer Service
- Provide excellent customer service so that you anticipate the guest’s needs and exceed their expectations.
- Other Departments:
- Perform front desk duties
- Perform other duties as required
- Completion of Secondary school is required.
- College degree or diploma in the one or two years program is required.
- Completion of college courses related to the area supervised will be an asset.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of experience within the accommodation industry is required.
- Front Desk Manager: 1 year (Preferred)
- Housekeeping Manager: 1 year (Preferred)
- Initiative and able to take on large amount of responsibility
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Flexibility. Must be able to work early afternoons, evenings, and weekends
- Team player
- Outstanding ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and openly in all interactions, both verbal and written.
- Keen decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Is technologically savvy, with Google Suite, Whatsapp, WhenIWork, Roomkey PMS
- Demonstrated ability to work with maximum accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, maintaining a keen sense of urgency at all times.
- Fast-paced environment
- Shifting between different roles and tasks with ease
- Work under pressure
- Ability to multitask
- Attention to detail
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking, lifting
- Standing for extended periods
- Tight deadlines
- Be able to bend, reach, kneel, push, and stretch and lift and/or carry up to 50 Kg
- Can stand/walk on feet for 8 hours and work in a restrictive space/environment
- Must be comfortable using a step stool or ladder
- Must be able to use/lift arms for up to 8 hours
- Must be able to handle heat and stress
- Must speak in a clear, understandable voice, hear at a basic level, understand English, and be able to write.
Staff accommodation is available in either a 1 bedroom managers suite with full kitchen on site of the lodge grounds or in a newly renovated staff accommodation house. The house has 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, large backyard, ample parking and shared living room/kitchen space. The house is only 1 minute drive and 10 minute walk on Cynamocka St. Extremely affordable private and shared rooms available for full time employees. Additional living arrangement may be available.
What’s on Offer
Canadian Princess Lodge offers accommodation, competitive wages, vacation days and benefits. If you meet the requirements and are interested, please submit your resume and salary expectations. We thank all applicants who apply, but only those who are qualified may be contacted.
* For all positions, please send your resume and cover letter and Skype address to [email protected]. Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting those who will be considered for interviews.